02 May 2006

NRA Light Rifle Qualification


We're coming up on 4 years now that my son has been shooting with me and I've always struggled for a way to make shooting more competitive. He has always been involved in hunting, and pest control, so shooting has had a reason, but all to often we just go to the range to blast away. Nothin' wrong with that, but I've been looking for some direction to take his shooting for some time now. The problem is, he is too young to compete in sanctioned events, and where we live, there isn't much around anyway. What I found was the NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program. Specificaly, the Light rifle qualification. You use any safe .22 rimfire rifle, no high dollar target rifles needed. Targets and distances are A-32 target, 50 feet, two shots per bullseye. And A-23/5 or A-31X experimental target, 50 yards, five shots per bullseye. The courses of fire are prone or benchrest, all standing, or 3-position -- prone, kneeling and standing. Body and/or gun support may be used at the Pro-Marksman rating level in all courses, and throughout the prone/benchrest course. And the best part for an almost 8 year old is, the awards, which include a Light Rifle Patch. Blue/burgundy certificates. Medals, medal bars and skill rockers used in all courses.
The Boy loves it, and has already qualified as Pro-Marksman in 3-position, and is on his way to expert in prone/benchrest. If you have the same delima I have, I highly reccomend this program, It gives a level of pride to a skill hard earned, and it can be a bit humbling to one whos head is a little large from the lack of competition.
I would love to hear about any other program that is out there for an 8 year old who can handle himself behind a trigger.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are an awesome Dad!

Anonymous said...

The NRA Light Rifle course is great fun to shoot and challenging. I have been shooting it now for about four years. I am a senior so three position is uncomfortable for me. I shoot thirty rounds standing. I use a Marlin model 25N rifle and a Millett red dot sight. I use either Wolf Match Rifle ammo or Federal Gold Medal when I can get it.
I am surprised that there isn't more formal competition in this discipline. It would be a great winter event at clubs with indoor ranges. Even shot as a solitary self-testing course it is enjoyable.
It's an excellent way to get your kids started in safe, sport shooting. Regards