04 June 2006

Targel rifle at surplus prices


In a day of high dollar, super-match-target rifles that are said to put a bullet through the eye of a needle at 200 yards, one would think that only the rich, the powerful, or just the insanely lucky (gun writers) will be able to enjoy a truly fine rifle. Well, I've got some good news for you. Let me introduce you to the Olympic arms K-16. I bought this gun a couple of years ago at a gun show after years of wanting an AR-15, it cost me around $600 which is a lot for me, but nothing compared to what's out there. The real surprise was when I got it on the range. I put a Simmons 4-12x Scope from walmart on the picatinny rail, and put the first 5 Winchester 55gr fmj rounds into a nice little 3/4"- 1" hole. And it's done it ever since. I've now put probably 10,000 through it easy, and the only malfunction was a broken trigger pin after about 8,000 rounds. I have never had a jam, misfeed, or any other malfunction with this rifle.
I have since replaced the A2 stock with a collapsible job, installed a FIRSH handguard, and an Aimpoint red dot sight for QCB work, Or fun, however one looks at it. I was going to replace the trigger because that's just what people do, but the single stage trigger breaks very crisp at about 4 pounds, so if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I did however replace the grip with a Hogue rubber coated grip, It makes a huge difference in the way the rifle feels in your hand.
I have shot many $1,500+ rifles that didn't shoot as well as the K-16, thumbs up to Olympic arms for putting together such a good rifle, and keeping it close to where real people can afford it.

Here are the specs for the Olympic arms K-16
------------------------------------------------------------
7075 T6 Aluminum Forged Receivers Made By Olympic Arms
Black Matte Anodized Receivers,
Parkerized Steel Parts
Gas Operated Semi-Automatic
Upper Type Flat top w/ picatinny rails
Front Sight Gas block w/ picatinny rails
Handguard Free floating aluminum tube w/ knurl grip
Barrel 16" bull, button rifled, 4140 chromemoly steel
Chambering 5.56 NATO
Bore Long-life non-chromed bore
Twist Rate 1x9
Muzzle Crown
Stock A2 w/ trapdoor
Length/Weight 34.375" / 7.47 lbs.
MSRP- $714.00

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://www.guvendor.com Is the newest and easiest place to buy and sell guns online. In an auction or store format. Built by geeks, directed by gunpoint by ex military.