13 September 2006

Moultrie Game Watcher 2.1

I've wanted a trail camera for a while, but the cost allowed them to stay on the store shelves. But last year, a cheap, 35mm trail cam was available for about 50 bucks. I am too impatient to go through the film developing process for that though, so I didn't get one. there was a VGA digital cam for about $150, but I couldn't justify the funds just to take pictures of deer. And it was less than 1 mega pixel, so I can only imagine how lousy the pictures would be. So I was stuck looking at deer tracks alone.

Just as with every other bit of technology though, the trail cam got cheap! Moultrie feeders released the Game Watcher 2.1 digital game camera. Its a 2.1 mp camera, with a 30' flash, an internal memory and an SD card slot. The internal memory holds 120 low quality and 25 high quality pictures, but a 500Mb SD card hold 1000 high quality and 3000 low quality pictures. It also does video, but its real choppy, and it converts to still at night.

Me and my son got the camera, with a bag of deer corn, set up our deer ambush. Not knowing what to expect, we checked it the next day, and found it had 7 pictures on it. Man we were excited, I hooked my computer to it and we had genuine photos of 2 squirrels, 3 crows, an 8 year old boy, and a 4 year old girl in some kind of ballet spin. I guess if that's why you bought the stinkin' camera, you'd be pretty excited. But we were sure we would see the 12 point monster we know is back there, we've just never seen it cause we didn't have a camera. The next few days were about the same a whole lot of excitement just to find a few rodents and a Ballerina. But after a few days, Gavin told me that the memory was full, I was of course convinced that my kids decided to play in the woods all day, which by the way does not attract deer, but when I hooked it up, the first picture was an 8 pointer in full velvet, and the following 119 were various bucks and does. I even had some with 4 and 5 deer in one picture. And since then the memory has stayed full, and I have a couple of thousand pictures of deer, raccoons, foxes, and yes, squirrels and ballerinas.

The camera has been a success, and has paid for itself over and over again if you consider the cost of developing 35mm film. I paid about $70 for it as Wal-mart, at that price, there's no reason anyone who hunts couldn't have one. Moultrie has put together a good camera at a good price, and I have the Ballerina to prove it.

Due to the extreme pain in the butt caused by uploading photos, you'll have to look at my last post to see pictures of my future meals.

1 comment:

vance said...

It all begins with the embarkation of your expedition into the back-country and most hunters from all walks of life can probably agree that finding wildlife in the daylight can be a difficult mission. Most of the time the majority of your chosen game will see you before you see them. So how can you stay abreast and adopt the specific patterns and habits of these sneaky creatures? Well, hunting cameras like a Moultrie Camera can equip you with a phenomenal advantage over the normal sportsman when attempting to gain the mindset of these awesome animals as well as offer assistance in your hunting success. With an investment like a Moultrie camera and the discovery of a new found hunting observatory tool, you may in fact discover some animals that you didn't even have a clue that were living in your hunting area.
Moultrie game camera