17 March 2006

Self Defense in Maryland? Nope

Its a Peaceful Thursday night, you are on your way home from a friends house when you realize your hunger, so you decide to stop for a bite. You realize that you don't have any cash on you so you make a quick stop at the ATM for $20. As you pull up to the bank, you can see there is no one else around, so you park your car and walk up to the ATM. Just as you normally do, you pull out your card and insert it into the machine, and as soon as you enter your PIN, there's a noise from the side of the building....
Your a young college girl leaving a late class one night. Talking to your friends after class, you realize the time and say your goodbyes. Walking to your car just as you do every night, anxious to get home to bed because of your early class in the morning, you hear footsteps behind you...
What could this mean? Could be someone to use the ATM, or another college student walking to their car...or it could be something else. Maybe someone who sees an easy few dollars, or a sick little pervert looking for a some fun. Options? Run? He may be faster. Stay and fight? He may be stronger. Spray him with pepper spray? Doesn't always work or have much effect on someone who might be high or is wearing glasses. How about my favorite. You reach into your concealed holster and pull out the compact 9mm you have stashed for just this occasion. What? You don't have one? Why the heck not? Oh, you live in Maryland or one of the only 13 states that do not allow concealed carry. Well, sorry bout your luck, you've just been mugged, raped, or killed. You see how ridiculous this is? I live in a state that does not allow its citizens to protect themselves outside of their home, Maryland. What could possibly be the reason for such a foolish act. The left wing . They for some reason believe that you can just call Andy Griffith or Barney Fife and they will "protect and serve" you. Well I live in the real world, not T.V. land. Here you don't have time to call the cops, you have time only to take action yourself. And self defense classes don't prepare you for a 250 pound man who's only thought is having his way with you. Unfortunately to many women have been robbed or rapped because they had no way to defend their selves. Is some goofy political view, or an ignorant unfounded fear of guns a good reason to become a victim of a crime? Or would you like to be able to save yourself? Here are some numbers that shouldn't surprise you, but probably will.
You are far more likely to survive a violent assault if you defend yourself with a gun. In episodes where a robbery victim was injured, the injury/defense rates were:

Resisting with a gun 6%
Did nothing 25%
Resisted with a knife 40%
Non-violent resistance 45%
When a woman was armed with a gun or knife, only 3% of rape attacks are completed, compared to 32% when unarmed

You see, You are being lied to about your safety and don't even realize it. But I know some will still think they are safer if only police have guns and we all just smile more. I have one question, If we just ban all guns and let only police carry them, we would be very safe right? Well just ask yourself, if all guns were illegal, then why would police still need them? If you said because the bad guys would too, ding, ding, ding, your right! We have to arm ourselves with the knowledge to fight back against those who would hurt people just because they can. We need to arm ourselves physically with the proper tools to defend against a physical attack. But unfortunately in my home state of Maryland, I would be the criminal if I did. Hopefully one day that will change, or I'll move to a more reasonable state.
I know some will read this and think I'm crazy, and that's fine-n-dandy, but tell what you would do, and not hypotheticals, pretend its your wife, mother, daughter, girlfriend, or any of your loved ones, how would you have them protect themselves?

( statistics taken from"Gun Facts" by Guy Smith also at www.gunfact.info )

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well you guys cant move to a more reasonable state for a long time...and not to take light of what you wrote, because I can see your point and agree...though I think if I could carry a gun, it would take a long time for me to feel comfortable around it...BUT...one way that I could try to protect myself would be to use a taser...oh WAIT a second! I dont have one. wasn't someone supposed to pick that up for me? i wonder who that was...

Anonymous said...

I have friends that carry guns here and there when we go out. A little odd for me because I don't "pack heat" so to speak, but hey, whatever, as long as they don't shoot me or hopefully anyone else.

Anonymous said...

I was watching the Larry King Special last night where he was interviewing the inmates at the Jessup Correctional Institue in Maryland and I was actually dumbfounded as I didn't know 5 years ago when I moved here that this state was like that. I think it's ludicrous that you can't carry a gun or have the right to protect yourself. What this does is give the message to criminals that it's okay to torture, terrorize and rape women and rob unsuspecting people at gunpoint because, hey after all they can't defend themselves and if they did and killed the would be rapist, the victim would be the one in trouble. BULLSHIT! I'd protect myself and run to the ends of the earth to stay as far away from the law as I could! That's how determined I am to not be a victim. I say, if you're idiot enough to come near me or anyone else with the thought of harming them, I hope you know the "self defense" law isn't going to work in your corner and you'll be dead and I'll be alive once I defend myself. I would even go as far as ripping your ears off with my teeth or anything else I could grab onto. So, there you have it.

Anonymous said...

And the laws in MD are not restricted to firearms. It also precludes the use of dirk knife, bowie knife, switchblade knife, star
knife, sandclub, metal knuckles, razor, and nunchaku, not to mention anything else a judge determines is a "weapon". There is no self defense in MD. Sad. Very sad.